We're living in a world of strange days. What better way to share stories and connect during a time of disruption and change, than a non-fiction writing prize? The theme: Strange Days.
Maybe it's an extract from your diary during your time in lockdown. Maybe it's a reflection on other strange days in your life. Maybe it's a reflection on the state of the world. Whatever "strange days" means to you, we want to hear it - in 1500 words.
Shortlisted entries will be read and judged by Helen Garner, a cherished Australian author and Moonee Valley local, and we couldn't be more honoured.
The winner will be awarded $500 prize money and publication on our website. The winners of second and third place will respectively receive $300 and $200, plus publication on our website.
Entries are welcome between Monday 20 September and Sunday 14 November. The winner will be announced in mid-December. Please read the submission guidelines before entering.
Please read the following entry conditions before submitting your work:
- Entrants must reside in Victoria (Australia).
- Entrants must be 18 years of age or over, as at September 20 2021.
- All entries must be submitted online via the Moonee Valley Libraries website.
- Submissions close on November 14 2021 at 11.59pm (AEST).
- Late entries will not be considered.
- Only one entry per person will be accepted.
- The person entering the competition must be the author of the work submitted.
- Entries must be written by one author only.
- Entries submitted must be original and unpublished at the time of submission.
- Entries must be 1500 words (give or take 10 per cent).
- Entries are anonymous and cannot be marked with the writer’s name or initials.
- The author’s personal name and details must be confined to the entry form.
- The decision of the judge is final and no correspondence will be entered into or feedback provided.
- Winners will be notified by phone or email by mid-December 2021.
- Employees of Moonee Valley City Council and their family members cannot enter this competition.
- Moonee Valley Libraries reserves the right to reproduce the entry in publications and/or promotional materials and products (including online), on its website and/or social media.
To assist with judging, please submit your entry with the following formatting:
- Title of work to be displayed at the head of each page.
- All pages must be numbered.
- Entries must be typed in black size 12 font, 1.5 spacing.
- The file may be a PDF or Word document.